Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Age is Complicated

Last night, my roommate and I were babysitting some of the kids from church. I pulled out my cell phone to check the time, and one of the little girls told me, "I didn't know you were old enough to have a cell phone."

So I asked her how old she thought she had to be to have a cell phone. She said, "As old as you, I guess," and shrugged her shoulders, giggled and went back to her toy.

It's so interesting how our concept of age grows and matures with us. When I asked my preschoolers how old they thought I was, they told me anywhere between 7 and 68. To them, time seems to take forever, so they don't have any concept of what it really means. And that makes things like half-birthday's a big deal to them.

The older I get, the faster time goes. I am not even close to the point where I want to stop acknowledging how old I am (and hopefully I won't ever get there - I want to love growing old!), but sometimes I wish I could just make life slow down. I would love to go back to the days when half-birthdays were a big deal, because it had been SIX WHOLE MONTHS since you last celebrated...

At the same time, though, there are a lot of things that I am glad have changed. But sometimes, it's good to be reminded by the kids in my life that time really is valuable, and I need to be intentional about taking advantage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment