Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Longing for Home

More and more I've been realizing that though I live with dear friends in San Diego and my family is in Orange County,  and though I love both places very much, they are not home. I love visiting my family; it's refreshing, fun and encouraging. But I'm just that: a visitor. It is no longer home. And here in San Diego, though I love the girls that I live with, they aren't family. This isn't permanent. There is a sense that any of us could move on at any time. A blessed season? Yes. Home? No.

But the more I see my lack of a home, the more I realize my deep longing for a one. I desire to come back to a family who I can love daily and to grow old with, a family that causes me to love and seek after Christ more deeply. I long for a place that feel safe and permanent, a place where I feel like I belong.

And that's when the Lord gently reminds me that my true home is not and never will be here on this earth. These longings that I feel are good and right, because He has created me to long for the true home that is found only in heaven. Though our earthly home can be a beautiful picture of what is to come, it is only that: a picture. These desires that I feel are ultimately are satisfied in the Lord alone. 

So regardless of my feelings, Jesus is better, so much better, than any home that I might ever have. And if I never feel like I have a home, then Jesus is still better. His plans and His purposes - they are what matter. My home is with Him, wherever He is, wherever He leads. That's where I want to be and Who I want to go with.
For we know that if kthe tent that is lour earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, ma house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this tent nwe groan, longing to oput on our heavenly dwelling, if indeed by putting it on1 we may not be found naked. For while we are still in this tent, we groan, being burdened—not that we would be unclothed, but that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal pmay be swallowed up by life. He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, qwho has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
So we are always of good courage. We know that rwhile we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for swe walk by faith, not tby sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we uwould rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to vplease him. - 2 Corinthians 5:1-9

No comments:

Post a Comment