Friday, January 4, 2013

Thankful for Rest

Working full-time has given me a new respect for my dad. It's not that I don't like working (because I do), but there are several things that I have found really difficult about work Monday-Friday from 8-5.

First, dropping from 12 weeks of vacation (which is roughly what I enjoyed while I was in college) to 2 (what I have now) is a terrible transition. All of the sudden I feel like I don't have time to do anything!

Similarly, it is really difficult to find time to spend with both my friends who are married, since evenings are family time for them, and my college friends, who have all of their activities at night. And since 90% of my friends are either married or in college, that means it is very difficult to find time to spend with the vast majority of people I spent time with when I was in school.

Finally, 40 hours is a lot, and when I do get off, I'm tired. It's hard to find the energy to do some of the things that I really do want to do. Plus, during the winter, I barely get to see daylight since my office doesn't have a window.

I have been so blessed by my job - my coworkers, the environment, what I get to do. But working is not easy. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

But over the past two weeks, it has been so quiet in the office that my boss keeps walking into my office and telling me to leave early. The feeling of getting of at 2 or 3 pm instead of 5 is absolutely glorious. I walk outside, and the sun is still shining, I still have energy and there is time to accomplish so much.

These past few weeks of extra time to rest and to just be have been such a blessing. I don't think I realize how tired I am until I stop. These times have reminded me that the Lord has instituted the Sabbath for my good. I am not very intentional about resting on Sundays, at least not as intentional as I ought to be. But resting is good, so very good. I am thankful for the Lord's grace in allowing me to rest even when I don't take the time that I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment