Friday, May 25, 2012

The Mercy of Jesus

After this there was a ofeast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
Now there is in Jerusalem by pthe Sheep Gate a pool, in Aramaic1 called Bethesda,2 which has five roofed colonnades. In these lay a multitude of invalids—blind, lame, and qparalyzed.3 One man was there who had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had already been there a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be healed?” The sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, and while I am going another steps down before me.” Jesus said to him, r“Get up, take up your bed, and walk.” rAnd at once the man was healed, and he took up his bed and walked.
sNow that day was the Sabbath.
As I was reading through John 5 this past week, I found myself struck by the beauty of Jesus that is displayed in His healing here.  I thought that I would share some of my thoughts.

First, there were many who were sick; Jesus chose to heal one. Why He showed such compassion to only one, I do not know, nor do I pretend to understand. But His compassion for the needy (and perhaps even for those who need Him most, as this man had been waiting for thirty-eight years) is displayed regardless. There was nothing in this man to cause Jesus to look at him and want to heal him. But He did anyway. And just as He chose to heal this man, He has chosen to heal me, not of my physical problems, but of my sin problem, not because of who I am, but because of who He is. Truly, His mercy is very great!

Second, Jesus saw and knew (vs. 6). This man didn't have to explain all of his problems or how long he had been waiting or why he even needed healing. Jesus knew. He knew it all, and He had mercy. And He knows me and my story just as well. What comfort is found in that thought!

Finally, when Jesus asked the man if He wanted to be healed, the obvious answer was yes! And yet the man didn't even have enough faith for that answer. He stated only the obstacles to his healing. But his lack of faith would not stop the glory of God from being displayed in this man's life. In His great mercy, He healed this broken man. Though I often lack the faith that my Savior deserves, His glory is displayed in my life anyway because of the gracious healing I have experienced. Because of his healing, that man stood and walked. And because of my healing, I stand boldly before the throne of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment